Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Blessings in Disguise

One of my favorite pastimes is walking around a foreign city in the mornings, having breakfast at a local cafe while I read the local paper and have a "hit-or-miss" in-house brewed coffee. Today, this city is Kota Kinabalu on the island of Borneo. These wouldnt have happened if Airasia did not reschedule my flight to a more sane noontime instead of a 10am flight, leaving me more time to scour the city for cheap bedtime Kinabalu tees and that touristy fridge magnet, which I have incidentally, not found yet. Perhaps the airport would yield better prospects.

Why blessings in disguise? Too many to speak of: Altitude Sickness + Food posioning at 11,000 ft, the decrepit Winner Hotel closing down for mandatory reparations ordered by the governent the day after we checked in, Airasia rescheduled flight, R&T starting one day earlier than D&N... all blessings in disguise, all leading to many memories, although not all pleasant.

This is a small town, i think I managed to walk around the city centre in 2 hours, and as I looked around, i can just imagine this was how Singapura was in my dad's youth, and reading the Borneo Post over breakfast reminded me once again how Malaysia and Singapore share so many common roots (including the Internal Security Act) its strange to see how the twine have diverged.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wy said...

Woo Sabah. haha.. i miss the burger king... hahaha. the broiler that is... and the pub/cafe next to the burger king.. hahaha. cheap alcohol..

Most of all, I miss the bah kut teh right beneath Trekker's lodge. Nothing comes close to it in Sg.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so jealous- stop flying around!!

4:19 AM  
Blogger PC said...

hey! why is starting one day earlier a blessing in disguise?! the others i can still understand..

climb kilimanjaro to make up for it!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home